We understand that considering a divorce is very difficult and stressful; it is for this reason we have a compassionate and understanding team of solicitors in Leicester and Corby who are able to provide you with support and guidance. We can help you to consider whether divorce is the right option for you, your divorce financial settlement, and advise you on rights to property.
Currently, the grounds for applying for a divorce must amount to the ‘irretrievable breakdown of the marriage’. This must be supported by one of the following five factors:
- Your spouse has committed adultery
- Your spouse has behaved in a way that you cannot reasonably expected to live together
- 2 years separation and your spouse agrees to the divorce
- 5 years separation without agreement from your spouse
- Desertion by your spouse
However, the government plans to introduce new legislation to reform the divorce process by removing the concept of ‘fault’. This means that, to apply for a divorce, you would only need to notify the court that your marriage has irretrievably broken down. Therefore the above mentioned five grounds for applying for a divorce could be removed in the near future.
Here at Scutt Beaumont Solicitors Ltd, we understand how difficult a divorce can be. Many clients can be worried about achieving a fair financial settlement, especially if there are children involved. Our experienced divorce solicitors can assess your rights to the marital property and more importantly, child custody.
We understand the difficulty in making the correct arrangements in respect of children. We know how important it is to you and the children involved to know where you stand, which is why we aim to achieve a child-focussed, fair and reasonable child arrangement.
We can help with:
- Amicable separations and divorces – If you’ve already worked out a plan that is agreeable to both parties, then we can help make it legally binding.
- Contested hearings – If negotiation and mediation isn’t going to work in your situation then our family law solicitors will stand up and fight for your rights in court.
- Child visitation, residency or maintenance – Making arrangements for your children following a family breakdown isn’t always easy. We’ll make sure that the children’s best interests are at the heart of every discussion and that your rights as a parent or grandparent are upheld.
- Financial settlements – Your future depends on an equitable split of your finances so we will make sure that all of the assets are on the table and that the division is done fairly.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you could be eligible to apply for Legal Aid to obtain a divorce and resolve other related issues. We shall let you know if you are eligible and assess you for Legal Aid.
We therefore encourage you to take the first step and contact our Divorce Lawyers in Leicester and Corby todau.
Give us a call on 0116 254 4200